Friday, February 22, 2008

Alex's office: Wherin lies the world's worst computer setup

I haven't signed up for cable or DSL yet.  This is mostly because my apartment has excellent line-of-sight with several residential buildings.  There's enough wifi out there to seriously entertain thoughts of saving 35 dollars a month on having a dedicated connection.  

However, I've learned first hand that saving money on something doesn't necessarily increase its overall value-- Which leads me to a short tour of my new "office":

Let's start with my wireless antenna.  It's poked through a hole in the screen.  Since the cord has to run through the window, I can't close it completely, which makes the room colder.  The blue masking tape is to hold it in place in case of a gust of wind blows it open.




The other end of the cord runs to my computer, which, because of a power supply failure a year ago, now occupies a blue plastic storage container.  I didn't feel like buying a shuttle-branded PSU for five times as much simply to keep the case in tact.  



The rest of my computer is on the floor because I don't have a desk yet.



When I have guests over, I share the bootleg signal to my broken-down laptop (which has neither working speakers, fans, expansion RAM slots, or batteries) via ethernet, which in turn shares it over a wireless network called "The World's Most Ghetto Internet".



I mean, I'd get a job and buy some new equipment, but I'm almost proud of how terrible it is at this point.

3 comments:

Gregg Ose said...

Alex, it is great to see you living in such splendor. We will look for you in Renter's Monthly.

Anonymous said...

I think your living has improved slightly in the past few days.

Also, gregg ose is your hugest fan. I am your heaviest though.

Anonymous said...

I like your IBM clicky keyboard. Those are my favorite kind!